June 24th – June 30th, 2024 Mt Angel Abbey, Mt Angel, Oregon – Scott Kritzer with Mario Diaz
Classical Guitar Immersion is 10 month program that culminates in a 6 day workshop held each June at the Mt. Angel Abbey (located 1 hour south of Portland, Oregon). The purpose of CGI is to help the amateur or professional player overcome the effects of performance anxiety through the application of professional level work and concepts developed I’ve developed in over 40 years of touring and recording.
Mastering the Stage
Over the past two years CGI has focused first on Advanced Technique and then integrating those skills into last year’s subject; Breaking the Musical Code. Mastering the Stage is the natural fruition of these and new skills that will give players professional level tools on how to manage the unexpected that is bound to happen on stage. Learning how to anticipate and recover seamlessly from mistakes goes a long way to combating performance anxiety.
Mt. Angel Abbey
Mt. Angel Abbey located in Mt. Angel, Oregon. This ideal location provides private and modern accommodations, modern classrooms and dining facilities, all located in the Guesthouse, and an auditorium for our formal performances located in the renowned Aalto library.
Mt. Angel Abbey is great retreat to absorb information and to immerse yourself in a disciplined art like the classical guitar. A Coffee Shop and Bakery as well as one of Oregon’s best breweries provide some distractions – but there’s always a time and place for some extra practice.
Masterclasses, Ensemble Rehearsals, Performances and Lectures
Students arrive at CGI prepared to put the finishing touches on their solo and ensemble repertoire. Morning and afternoon masterclasses taught by me are followed by an evening ensemble rehearsal with Mario Diaz.
Lectures by Luthiers Jeffrey Elliott, Cyndy Burton and Gregory Miller will discuss how to tailor your guitar to fit your hands in addition to the woods to consider to fit your sound.
Mario Diaz will also offer a lecture on technique on our final morning which is followed by the CGI Ensemble public performances. These are usually well attended by the public!
Mario Diaz and myself will perform the opening night concert.
CGI Daily Schedule
The following schedule is subject to change.
- 7:00-7:30 Breakfast
- 7:30-9:00 Practice/Free Time
- 9:00-12:00 Master Class Group A (Westminster Meeting Room)
- 12:15-12:45 Lunch (Dining Room, Abbey Guesthouse)
- 1:00-4:00 Master Class Group B (Westminster Meeting Room)
- 4:00-6:00 Practice/Free Time
- 6:00-6:30 Dinner (Abbey Retreat Dining Hall)
- 7:00-8:00 Ensemble Rehearsal (Westminster Meeting Room)
Public Performance Schedule
- Monday, June 24th, 4-6 PM; “Tailoring an Instrument to Your Physical and Musical Needs” with Jeffrey Elliott, Cyndy Burton and Gregory Miller
- Monday, June 24th, 8-9 PM; Mario Diaz and Scott Kritzer in concert
- Saturday, June 29th, 4-5 pm; the CGI Ensemble Concert
- Saturday, June 29th, 8-9 pm; the CGI Performer’s Concert
The cost for CGI is $2495. This includes meals, lodging, attendance for all masterclasses, workshops, rehearsals and performances. The fee also includes eight workshops that I’ll be holding from the fall through the spring.
All participants should be able to play up to 3 works from memory and all skill levels are welcome. Participants will need to also attend the monthly workshops. If you’re not currently a student of Mario Diaz or myself, a meeting either in person or via Zoom will be required.
- July 30th – Past & Potential New Attendees Zoom Meeting*
- August 14th – 2022 CGI Participants Deposits Due
- August 15th- Open Enrollment Begins
- September 24 – May 27 (fourth Saturday of each month, except for a December break) Mastering the Stage
- March 29th, 2024 Final Deposit Due
- June 24th-June 29th – 2024 CGI Mt Angel Abbey